The Economic Club of Kansas City’s objectives are to (1) provide a structured forum for engaging Kansas City’s business leaders with world-class thinkers on critical issues in business, economics, and finance, (2) catalyze local discussion, understanding, and leadership on these issues, and (3) foster economic curiosity. The Club is nonpolitical, nonpartisan, and nonprofit and takes no side on any issue considered in its forum.
Each year, the Club hosts several programs featuring keynote presentations by renowned thought leaders. Every other year, the Club hosts the award ceremony for the Truman Medal for Economic Policy, which we co-sponsor with the Harry S. Truman Library Institute, the Henry W. Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri—Kansas City, and the Missouri Council on Economic Education. The Truman Medal is awarded to an economist who has made extraordinary contributions to the nation’s economic policy. Previous award recipients are Alan Greenspan (2005), George Shultz (2007), Paul Volcker (2009), Allan Meltzer (2011), Alice Rivlin (2013), John Taylor (2015), Robert Shiller (2017), and Janet Yellen (2019).
Club members are leading organizations in the Kansas City metropolitan area, including Lawrence and Topeka, Kansas. The organizations are represented by the chief executive officer, chief financial officer, or other high organization official. Membership invitations are extended by the Club’s Board of Directors and are without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability. Membership fees are used solely for program expenses, including speaker fees, meals, printing, postage, and other administrative expenses. Each member may send two individuals to every Club event.
The Club’s directors are drawn from our membership. The directors provide general and active control of the Club’s business. The President and Executive Director develops and implements programs and activities approved by the directors. Our directors are:
- Pamela Breuckmann (Chair), President and Chief Executive Officer, Ferrell Capital
- Paul Thompson (Secretary), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Country Club Bank
- Chuck Morris (President and Executive Director), The Economic Club of Kansas City
- Mark Bluhm, Partner, Lathrop GPM LLP
- Charles Sosland, President and Chief Executive Officer, Sosland Companies, Inc.
- Esther George, President and Chief Executive Officer, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- Stephen Gound, Chairman Emeritus, Labconco Corporation
- Brian Klaas, Dean, Henry W. Bloch School of Management, University of Missouri—Kansas City
- Chad Rock, Managing Director, Commercial Banking, BMO Harris Bank, Kansas City